Services are normally held at 9:30 am on the first and third Sundays of the month. Please see the Parish Calendar for this month's arrangements.
From the Victoria County History (1927)
The church of ST. MARY THE VIRGIN consists of a chancel 13 ft. 6 in. by 17 ft., a nave 48 ft. by 11 ft. 6 in., north chapel 17 ft. 6 in. by 11 ft., north aisle 6 ft. wide, south aisle 10 ft. wide, western tower 10 ft. square, a south porch and a modern vestry on the north side of the north aisle. The measurements are all internal.
There was apparently a small church here in the early part of the 13th century, of which the lower part of the tower, the reset south doorway, and possibly a part of the western walls of the nave still survive. In the middle of the 14th century the church was rebuilt and considerably enlarged. The retention of the tower and possibly the western part of the nave walls of the 13th-century church necessitated an eastward extension and restricted the width of the nave. The utilisation also of the foundations of the north wall of the north aisle of the earlier and smaller church caused the peculiar narrowness of the 14th-century north aisle. The want of proportion of the nave was still further emphasized by the size of the 14th-century chancel, which exceeds the nave in width and formerly extended considerably further to the east. The north chapel, the south aisle, and the topmost stage of the tower are also of the mid-14th-century. The church remained without alteration in plan for nearly three hundred years. About 1639 all the roofs except that of the chancel were renewed and the south porch was added. In 1777 the church was repaired, and it was at this date apparently that the chancel was shortened to about half its length, the east wall being then built in its present position. In 1892 the north vestry was added and the church was restored.
The chancel is lighted from the east by a 14th-century three-light window with tracery in a pointed head, reset from the older east wall. On the north wall there are indications of the jambs and arch of a blocked window, and on the south is a 14th-century two-light window with tracery in a pointed head. Below this window is a square-headed low-side window with a modern shutter, and eastward is a 14th-century pointed doorway, now blocked. The pointed chancel arch is of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner springing from corbels.
The nave arcades of three bays on each side are of 14th-century date and have pointed arches of two chamfered orders springing from octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases; the western responds have moulded corbels on carved heads, but the corbels on the eastern responds have been destroyed. There are four modern square-headed clearstory windows with trefoil lights on the south side. At the east end of the north wall is an opening possibly to light the rood-loft, and on the south side is the upper doorway to the loft.
The north chapel is lighted from the east by a 14th-century three-light window with tracery in a pointed head which contains some fragments of old glass. On the north side is a two-light window of similar design and in the south-east corner is a 15thcentury squint into the chancel. In the south wall at the east end of the chapel are a 14th-century double piscina having two trefoiled arches with tracery in a pointed head and a plain pointed sedile.
The narrow north aisle has a 14th-century twolight window in the north wall corresponding to the window in the north chapel, eastward of which is a moulded doorway with pointed head now leading into the modern vestry.
The south aisle is lighted from the east by a window similar to that in the corresponding position in the north chapel. On the north side of the window is a 15th-century squint to the chancel. In the south wall is an early 13th-century doorway, re-used, which has a pointed head of two moulded orders and shafted jambs with foliated capitals and moulded bases. On the east side of the doorway is a 15th-century stoup and further eastward is a plain threelight window with a four-centred head of a similar date. Beyond this window are a piscina and sedile, the former having two trefoil arches with a quatrefoil in a pointed head and the latter having a plain pointed head. Westward of the south doorway is a 14th-century two-light window, almost wholly restored, with tracery in a pointed head.
The 13th-century tower is surmounted by a modern saddle-back roof, below which is a string-course with heads at the angles. It is of three stages, but is without buttresses or external divisions. The pointed tower arch of two orders springs from square jambs with plain imposts. There is a lancet in the west wall of the tower and above is a smaller lancet on each side except the east. The middle stage has square openings on the north and south sides, and the bellchamber has on each side a 14th-century window of two lights with tracery in a pointed head.
The porch has a pointed entrance arch of two chamfered orders, over which is a stone with the date 1639, being that of the erection of the porch, and underneath it the date 1892, when a general restoration of the church took place. There is a round sundial in the gable.
The oak pulpit, which is of the time of James I, forms an incomplete octagon in plan and is composed of panels with round-headed arches in two stages.
The font is modern.
The four bells were made by Alexander Rigby in 1693.
The village is situated about half a mile to the east of the A413 road from Buckingham to Towcester, and is approached by a by-road which eventually passes eastward through Wicken Wood into Northamptonshire. The main part of the village lies on the east side of a stream which flows into the feeder of the Ouse. Here are a few old houses, including a 17th-century farm-house of stone, formerly an inn, on the north side of the road, and some thatched cottages of about the same date on the opposite side of the way. The church and village hall with a few cottages are grouped together west of the stream.
The Manor House, a comfortable modern building, is situated about a mile to the north-east of the church, with large grounds and a spinney on the south and south-east.